< /br>< /br>< /br>

DISC: How much spirit is enough spirit?

For the things that don't fit elsewhere!

DISC: How much spirit is enough spirit?

Postby Ethanschatz » 01 Jul 2013, 05:30

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to priest as I used my resurrection on my priest and am now raiding 10 man normal ToT. I was at 11,700 spirit last night and I decided I wanted to try to go lower for more throughput. We 3 heal if that changes opinions. But I'd like to know many views and reasons behind them. I was using all 320 spirit gems. By the way: 496 ilvl. I changed all those spirit gems to red: int crit. Yellow: crit. And was at 9,200. Don't think that would work. So I changed them to red: int spirit. And yellow: crit spirit. And the blues are still 320 spirit. I'm now at 10,500 spirit.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... aka/simple

Now I know you're going to say. It's a comfort stat. See what you're comfortable with. But I really want to learn to manage my mana better. I think there are people running even less spirit than I am and 2 healing heroic.... It would be nice to have a little more throughput and crit and play at 10.5k spirit if I can learn to play it right. So any disc priests out there please teach me your ways of mana management. And also opinions on amount of spirit? 10 man normal ToT.

Thanks guys! By the way just joined H2P and this is my first post. :)
Ethanschatz

Re: DISC: How much spirit is enough spirit?

Postby Sacer » 01 Jul 2013, 07:20

I gemmed sparkling/purified/misty until I was full ToT level gear with the legendary meta. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable swapping to throughput gems until then.
Sacer <OBSCURE REFERENCE> - Warcraft Logs - Pro Raiders - 14/14 H Disc PoV Videos
The priest community is very active on twitter, follow me @SacerH2P.
Sacer

Postby Ethanschatz » 01 Jul 2013, 07:49

Sacer wrote:I gemmed sparkling/purified/misty until I was full ToT level gear with the legendary meta. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable swapping to throughput gems until then.

Thanks! I see what you mean. I definitely want to be comfortable and not be near the end of fight and say "guys I'm oom" and then we wipe haha. By the way do I remember you fr Burning Legion when I raided with Meshi and INVICTUS? I remember a Sacer who helped us sometimes. :P
Ethanschatz

Postby Valaria » 01 Jul 2013, 08:01

Spirit is really difficult to give advice on, generally 10k'ish seems like a solid number for 10 man. But it just depends on so many things, like your healing style, how much damage your raid pulls out, what healers you are running with etc.
Anyway I would aim for 10k spirit and take it from there if you find you always have to much or to little mana. While trying to pickup all socket bonuses along the way. At an ilvl of 496 its probably best to go with 1 int > 2 crit btw.

Your current gemming looks fine: as your ilvl goes up and you need less spirit from gems just transition the spirit into int until you start getting a bit deeper into heroics, at which point you can consider changing it to 2 crit > 1 int.

Edit: You might want to consider picking up Powerword: Solace instead of Mindbender if your raid doesn't need the extra damage Mindbender provides.
Valaria

Postby Sacer » 01 Jul 2013, 10:11

Ethanschatz wrote:
Sacer wrote:I gemmed sparkling/purified/misty until I was full ToT level gear with the legendary meta. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable swapping to throughput gems until then.

Thanks! I see what you mean. I definitely want to be comfortable and not be near the end of fight and say "guys I'm oom" and then we wipe haha. By the way do I remember you fr Burning Legion when I raided with Meshi and INVICTUS? I remember a Sacer who helped us sometimes. :P

Yep that was me. I miss Meshi.
Sacer <OBSCURE REFERENCE> - Warcraft Logs - Pro Raiders - 14/14 H Disc PoV Videos
The priest community is very active on twitter, follow me @SacerH2P.
Sacer

Postby alcohealic » 05 Jul 2013, 19:57

Yo man, this is me:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... c/advanced

8k spirit, this is also me:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/pla ... s/10H/hps/

Top disc priest in the world boi!
My advice is disc in general is actually very predictable in the use of mana, for example if you are 'atonementing' for 5 minutes the mana you need never changes. Run the spirit into the ground and see if you can handle it. I remember when i was doing ToT normal me and this other disc each were running with 5k spirit and getting away with it! it increases a little for HC mode and for certain bosses though. Megarea for example needs at least 10k but honestly just try out with less and less spirit see if you can increase your output more. Once you've got that legde gem things get easier.
Also: go for solace and the fiend they you have WAY more mana that way
alcohealic

Postby Frungy » 06 Jul 2013, 08:49

It depends on a lot of things... if you have a mana tide, fight mechanics, what you're casting.

I only know about 25m, but fights that are healing intensive like h-iron qon, or h-consorts day phase, or h-animus, I go for a lot of spirit. On fights where I'm spamming PWS like crazy, I also go for a lot of spirit. I guess for 10m it's not as much of an issue though, so I guess you can get away with less.
Frungy

Postby Weleroth » 19 Jul 2013, 06:25

Thread necro!

But, my question is:

What fight in ToT seems to you to be the most mana intensive? For a while I thought Mageara, but, it seems the time between rampage gives lots of time for spirit regen (especially if you run with an extra healer for this fight).

However, I haven't yet experienced all the fights, so I'm not sure which is actually the hardest on mana consumption. Ji-Kun hit me pretty hard, but that was only the third time I'd ever attempted Ji-Kun, so I'm sure that could be improved. (And I had dropped my spirit by 400 right before that fight, so I wasn't as used to my mana output.)
Weleroth

Postby Ashleycakez » 19 Jul 2013, 07:11

Ji-Kun I use hardly any mana, but then again I've always been a flier.

I find H Meg (and previously Normal) to be quite taxing on my mana, and possibly H Dark Animus, although as we get closer and closer to a kill I find myself becoming more comfortable with what spells to use when.
Ashleycakez || <Seraphim> || Stream || Priest Healing Tips
<Seraphim> is recruiting! 10 man mature raiding
11/16H T14 & 13/13H T15 & 13/14H T16
Ashleycakez

Postby Raksasha » 19 Jul 2013, 10:06

I'd say council is the most mana intensive fight - I normally run around 8400 spirit (currently 11/13HM) and for Council I end up needing to bump up my spirit - a close 2nd would be primordious
Raksasha

Return to General Holy & Disc Discussion